Poetry Performed Episode 025 - The Thaw by Henry David Thoreau



Episode 025 - The Thaw by Henry David Thoreau
This week, we explore Henry David Thoreau’s “The Thaw” as many of us look out our windows and hope that winter will begin to thaw away and turn towards springtime.

Before we get to this week's poem, I just wanted to take a moment to ask you to take a moment to rate and review the show, and make sure you’re subscribed so you don’t miss an episode.
The Thaw by Henry David Thoreau

I saw the civil sun drying earth’s tears —
Her tears of joy that only faster flowed,
Fain would I stretch me by the highway side,
To thaw and trickle with the melting snow,
That mingled soul and body with the tide,
I too may through the pores of nature flow.
But I alas nor tinkle can nor fume,
One jot to forward the great work of Time,
‘Tis mine to hearken while these ply the loom,
So shall my silence with their music chime.


That was The Thaw by Henry David Thoreau. Henry David Thoreau is one of the most famous writers in American literary history. He once said, “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” Born in Concord, Massachusets in 1817, he died in 1862.

Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, or grab the show on SoundCloud!
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/poetryperformed/id1437433844?mt=2#
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/poetryperformed

Comments