Poetry Performed Episode 028 - In(Re)trospect by Erik Shinker



This week, a first for Poetry Performed - a poem from a living poet - In(Re)trospect by Minneapolis’ own Erik Shinker.

In(Re)trospect by Erik Shinker

The beads of summer
sweat coated your upper lip;
a foil to the chilly
distance of
my heart’s malcontent.
Cheeks would blush.
Flushed.

Your hair, a
curtain of auburn mimicry,
brushed my brow with
each lustful kiss.
Pressure enough to
freeze time.

We marched through
our passion, always
just out of
step.

I wanted what was best; you wanted
me.
Burns and scars forced
me to pave the road to hell.
You never wanted to
hurt me,
just yourself.

How many have I pined after
in your wake?
How few reciprocated? How
could I replace what was
lost?
But a relationship cannot be
built on lies and
no matter how much I wanted you,
it just wasn’t
meant
to be.

I hardened my heart
in the hope of
saving yours.
I left you crying
amid the laughter of children
on that summer day.
Such promise; such potential
gone
because of my best intentions.
So many false starts, swearing oaths
I couldn’t help but
Break.

I wanted you to get
better;
and you did (I think).
You met shortly after our split.
A decade later and
you’ve been together
through it all.
For what seemed an age,
I watched from afar and remembered
who we used to be.

Ten years on and we’re different people.
A gold band now tips the scale of your left hand
while the pair of mine remain
Balanced.

It seems a
lifetime ago.
It might as well have been.
And the worst part is
I couldn’t
care
less.


Erik Shinker is a Minnesota based poet, and is the first living poet we have featured here on Poetry Performed. He holds a BA in English with an Emphasis on Literature and Creative Writing from Minnesota State University - Mankato. His work has been featured in both Minnesota’s Emerging Writers and America’s Emerging Writers. When not writing poetry or blogging about books, film, music, and more, he works as a manufacturing technical writer at a medical device company.

Erik Shinker’s work can be found at perpetuallypastdue.com. This poem was used with permission.

Please don’t forget to rate and review the show.

Theme music provided by David Hilowitz.

Comments